Saturday, November 8, 2008

One request

Hello! I know it has been awhile since I posted last, but there have been quite a few new developments in my family. In my last post, I told you about my Gramma W. (my dad's mom) being put into hospice care.

She is 87 years old and her body is just tired. She is tired, but she is fighting with everything she has. She was actually brought back to her home on Wednesday, but she is still in hospice care. She is doing better and her appetite has been a lot better the past couple of days. She is no longer needing as much pain medication, which is good because that stuff sure does make her loopy. She gets very confused especially when she has to take her pain medicine.

I sat with her on Thursday while my Aunt Hootie aka Judy went to work. We had a rough day and she kept me running most of the day on Thursday. I think she was still adjusting to being back at home. Yesterday was much better and we had a wonderful day together.

The other day McMommy posted about being blindsided at 10 AM. Well, I now know how she felt. While I was sitting with my Gramma W. (dad's mom) the other day, my mama called. She wanted to let me know that my Grandma K. (her mom) had been admitted to the CVICU (cardiovascular intensive care unit) because she had a lot of fluid around her lungs.

I was shocked to say the least. My Grandma K. had been having trouble breathing for awhile and would not go to the doctor because she is a very stubborn woman; AND she absolutely hates going to the doctor. My mom finally talked her into going and she was admitted.

Later that day, an oncologist came to talk to my mama and informed us that my Grandma K. has lung cancer. She has a large mass on the upper quadrant of her left lung and multiple smaller tumors in her lung. It has also started spreading into her right lung.

We do not know what type it is exactly, but the doctor has said that it appears to be Stage IV cancer and it looks very aggressive and very angry. My mama is terrified and worried, I am terrified and worried, and my Grandma K. is terrified and worried.

You see, my mama is an only child and I am an only child (which makes me an only grandchild). We are hoping to have some results from biopsy samples and fluid drained by Monday. But in the meantime, my ONE request is for your prayers. Please pray for my family, and for God to show us the path he has laid out. Pray for peace and understanding to fall on my Grandma K. and pray for my mama and I to have the strength to make it through this difficult time.

I will be back to post more when I have chance, but I make no promises on when that will be. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and week to follow!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Oh goodness, what sad news. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.